Thursday, May 21, 2009

{Sort of} A Ghost Story





I
grew up in a big old house in Hespeler, that to me was haunted. And
this is one of those story’s that could have been a great Ghost
Story, but since that would spoil the ending i will start a the
beginning.


It was a warm spring Sunday evening in 1967 and i had just finished
watching my Television programs in the living room with my family,
Gentle Ben,Ed Sullivan and Bonanza were the programs of choice. Off to
bed i went for a relaxing sleep, or so i thought. At around 3 am i
awoke to take a whizz when i caught out of the corner of my eye the
rocking chair under the window in my room was moving and a white clad
figure was occupying the chair. Frozen in bed and now unable to pee i
pulled up the sheets on my bed over my head and shivered, hoping that
the ghost would leave soon. No such luck. Every 1/2 hour it seemed i
checked and that ghost was still there and rocking the chair back and
forth. Unable to scream or even mouth “HELP” i waited for
morning and eventually dozed off thankfully.
As dawn arrived and i
opened my eyes my fear of the ghost turned to embarrassment and then
shame at what i had gone through the night before.

You see, what had happened was this. Being that it was a warm evening
my Mother had opened the bedroom window before laying a freshly cleaned
white bed sheet over the rocking chair, that just happened to have an
arched back, that created a head like shape. That and the wind nicely
blowing in the window kept the chair moving and the newly dried sheet
flowing. So it was not a ghost at all and i made it clear to my Mother
that she should never do that again. Her only comment on the
situation…how did you hold your pee so long? And now that i
think about it..how did i? Amazing the things you can do at 10 years
old.



Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: