Monday, May 29, 2006

Ben's Debut

Last Tuesday was a day that i will always remember. It was the day that my grandson Ben played his first organized Baseball game,and at 5 years old he was most likely looking forward to it as much as i was. For this event held something special for myself as well. Ben would become the 5th generation to carry my family name on a ball diamond in Hespeler. My grandfather in the 20's and 30's, my Father in the late 30's and 40's my brother in the 60's myself in the 70's my nephew in the 80's and now Ben was going to make his debut on the Field of Dreams. Sure it was only t-ball but it was baseball, the sport of summer, my favourite sport. To watch the kids play was as fun as i hoped it would be, to see them scramble after a ball and try to throw it to first, running the bases and getting that first swing and first hit was a hoot. Ben did the best he could and looked good doing it, not once did his uniform look dishelveld. He looked the part and i hope he felt the part and he made me proud...If Ben never plays the game again it would not matter, for history will remember that day, and some day hopefully a sixth generation will appear on the Diamond, but not too soon.
However there is one thing i must point out, if my Father was still alive, i don't know who would win a race between he and Ben, as unfortunately he inherited the running skills of my family[poor kid]. Play ball, Ben!

No comments: